Friday, November 12, 2010

Laterne, laterne...

Students in 3.2 were very busy this week documenting and presenting information about how matter can be transformed as we worked hard on finishing this six week unit. The students created posters which contained examples of matter being transformed. We got into small groups and assessed each other’s presentations about the various changes in matter we had carried out. Our room itself was a laboratory, bubbling with creativity and detailed expression as the students exchanged observations.  

Many students were happily involved with the local traditions of St. Martin’s Day, which included some wonderful lanterns they created and German songs. On Wednesday we also celebrated with an assembly in the cafeteria.

Of course, the highlight of our busy week involved our families visiting for Portfolio Day! Students expressed their excitement and a sense of accomplishment as a result of showing and explaining all their efforts. It was interesting to observe the class after all the parents had left. The kids were both very animated and excited, but also somewhat exhausted. Everyone put a lot of good work into their portfolios!

We received some excellent, productive feedback from our parents regarding Portfolio Day. Please make sure both you and your student attend the student-led conferences, which will be held next Tuesday, November 16th. Looking forward to seeing you then!

4 comments:

  1. The assembly was great!It was dark so that we can see the lanterns which were in all different colors and patterns.

    Hana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. Brown,
    I liked this unit of inquiry because I liked the experiments that we did. I still have a question and it is "Is matter good or bad or can it be both?"
    From
    Helene

    ReplyDelete
  3. The assembly was graet!It was dark and we see lots of diffrent lanters!We sing the song and I had great day in that day!That is my favorite assembly at I.S.D.

    Saki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not get a bag of treats but I got an awful lot of treats by singing.!


    Hana

    ReplyDelete