Friday, November 19, 2010

It's Christmas Market time!

Yesterday saw Grade 3 students begin their adventure to create a successful Christmas Market! To start, students traveled downtown to visit the Christmas Market. Armed with a list of questions to ask the shopkeepers (as well as a notebook to record their responses), students wandered around in their market groups to collect information which they could then take back to the classroom. Students returned with a clearer idea of what their Christmas Market will need in order to be successful!




Thank you to all parents for attending their child's student/parent conference on Tuesday! Everyone was very excited to discuss their learning with their parents and they look forward to working towards accomplishing those goals which were discussed. Please let us know if you have any other thoughts about the conferences!

Due to the teacher professional development days, students will not be expected to return until next Wednesday, November 24th. See you then!

11 comments:

  1. We go to Christmas market! It was so fun. Even when we had a cookies! I will go to Christmas market with my family! I want togo again to a Christmas market and next time I want to be with my best freind.

    Saki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out why you put holes in potatoes when you bake them. I found this out because of going to the Christmas Market. At the Christmas Market we saw a man roasting chestnuts. Before he roasted them he slit the skin open. I baked potatoes last night and my mom told me to take a fork and poke holes into the potato. It reminded me of the chestnuts. My mom asked some questions like: "Why do you think the man slit the skins of the chestnuts." "What does that have to do with matter?" "What do you remember about molecules and changes of matter?" "Why do you think the potatoes and chestnuts burst with out the holes and slits when they are heated?" I made a great connection. Can you?
    From Helene

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that Helene made such a connection from potatoes to chestnuts. Her real life experience at the Christmas Market made her reflect on her "matter" unit and make wonderful connections.

    I also liked the way that Helene asked a question to her classmates and I hope that some of you will answer her.

    I have a question too. What happens if you don't put holes in the potato or chestnut?

    This is what learning is all about!!

    Mrs. Coffey

    ReplyDelete
  4. The christmas market field trip was great! I got SO many information. We got information from christmas cake shop and we got a cookies. We were silly when we saw a merry'go'round because Theo try to get on to merry'go'round(boat)and Maadelinesaid "it is cool" I liked it.

    Saki

    ReplyDelete
  5. We go to chrismas market!It was so fun!I want go next year and I want go to chistmas market with my family and my best friend... Rika

    ReplyDelete
  6. The christmas market field trip was great! I was taking notes and I got SO much information. There were so many stalls as well as products! I liked the way my group and Mrs.Godsmark's group went together and worked together. At the last stall which was a honey stall after we asked the questions and we got the answers the owners of the stall gave us some treats to eat! The christmas market was VERY AMAZING! I wish I can go to the christmas market with my whole family this year! I went to the christmas market,and so will you!
    Hana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unit 2 ended but we are really getting our work done on our own christmas market,and it is so fun!
    hana

    ReplyDelete
  8. The christmas market field trip was SO FUN! We went with another group and it was twice as fun as I imagined! We went to 3 christmas markets! All of the christmas markets were so UNIQUE and that made the field trip so special and this field trip also connected to Unit 1! I wish I can go again!
    Hana

    ReplyDelete
  9. There were SO many products! There was Honey, wine,Jewelry, chcolate even real crystals! I liked how we all worked together and I had a good time! I wish I can go to the christmas market with my family!

    Hana

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is time for Christmas market! I love t go to Christmas market with my family and my best friends. It is fun to go to Christmas market because I can buy any thing and I can buy any thing about Christmas from Christmas market.
    I ove Christmas market!

    Saki

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the visit to the christmas market althought it was very cold and I think that we will have a sucsesfull christmas market

    Theo

    ReplyDelete