Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Reflection Writing
We have been working on reflection writing since the beginning of the school year! While reading Stephen and the Family Nose in class, students were asked for their thoughts and ideas regarding the story. Stephen and the Family Nose is a story about a boy who is sick of being told he has "his grandfather's eyes" or "his mom's nose" but rather wants to be appreciated for being himself. Students learned to start their reflections by choosing one of the following sentence starters ("I think..., I feel..., I wonder...). Many students were able to share their thoughts regarding Stephen's actions and offered some insight into what they would do in the same situation. On Tuesday, we read Grandfather's Journey, about a man who was torn between wanting to live in his native Japan and his new home, California. Students wrote this reflection as a class, paying attention to creating an introduction and a conclusion, in addition to the reflection. This is a skill which they will be continuing to work on for the entire school year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Mrs Brown,
ReplyDeleteThe story of Stephen and the Family Nose sounds very interesting. Who is the author? I'd love to read it some time. Thinking about sentence starters is a great way to improve student writing. I think some of the students from grade five would learn a lot by using some of these sentence starter ideas. Perhaps your students would like to share their thinking or their work with us. We have been talking about the ways we can learn from each other, this might be a great opportunity for us to work together.
Ms Young
Welcome Mrs. Brown's class good that you are writing reflections. Guess what in forth grade you have to write at least 1-3 every day. But I like writing short reflections.
ReplyDeleteAnna Grace
Dear Mrs. Brown
ReplyDeleteI been relly liking Stephen and the Family Nose. He has a good nose and eyes. He smelled the smoke from the microwave. He found a tiny ring for his Aunt Jan.
I think I have my mommy's face. Everyone says I'm her little me. It doesn't bother me.
Grandfathers journey I think he likes both places when he is at one place, he thinks of another. I'm also living away from my home. I think America is a better place because I know what they are saying and they have more things for kids to do. In Germany they have too many museums. I wonder if I will miss Germany when I'm back in America. I think I will miss my friends in Germany.
When the war happened, I think he was not happy. I was wondering if he wanted to go back to California if he didn't die. Do you wonder if the kid will do the same thing as the Grandfather?
Jessica and the Lester Family
I think Grandfathers journey is a sad story because he didn"t go to calafonia
ReplyDeletechaeeun